Although a few architecture courses existed in the Engineering College as early as 1922, the School of Architecture was not formally established as a part of the College of Engineering until 1926. The school's first two directors, Joseph Smay (director 1926-1936) and Henry Kamphoeffner (director 1936 -1946) followed the classical approach to architecture. In 1947, Bruce Goff was appointed chairman of the School of Architecture. He shifted the school's design philosophy abruptly from the Beaux Arts model to a focus on developing imagination and creativity within a professional curriculum.